Thursday, May 10, 2007

A freak????

The other night M and I went to the pub with some of the parents from my son's class. Just a little get together that I organized to watch some playoff hockey and get aquainted. All was well, until one of the dads had a little too much to drink. It was only the second time that I had met him, and he proceded to call me a "control freak". I laughed it off at first, but he went on and on about it and it has been sitting with me for a couple of weeks now. It really bugged me!!! I think adding the word "freak" is what has set me off. If someone had commented " Hey, you are the type of person who likes to be in control", then it possibly would not have been so bad. But saying " Hey, you are a freak" just pissed me off. Yeah, I like to be organized, I am the one who arranges social events, keep things together with my various groups of friends. Do I sound like I am trying to convince myself? Who knows? I have shocked myself that at the age of 40, someone I hardly know hit this nerve. I am who I am, and my character has gotten me this far in life!!!!
I feel like I am back in the shoolyard again. Who are the parents and who are the children here!

2 comments:

Sally T. said...

I'd rather be called a control freak than a loose-lipped drunk :)

Laugh it off, D.

Marta said...

So many things about so-called "adult-hood" remind me of school as well. That guy obviously has issues and probably isn't so happy. I've learned to say "fuck-em" and it's really quite liberating. Only took me 40 years to figure out how to do that though.
And I'd rather be a freak than labelled as "normal" anyday. "Normal" people are the most fucked up individuals that I know.